100 gr Artemia Cysts (GSL origin)
15 gr NaOH or 33 ml of 40% Naoh solution
320 ml of liquid household bleach (5.25%)
1050 ml of seawater
100 ppm solution of Na2S203 (Sodium Thiosulfate)
- hydrate cysts for 1-2 hours in FW at 26-28 C
- chill seawater to 10 C
- after hydration, rinse cysts thoroughly
- prepare decapping solution by adding 15 gr of Naoh and 320 ml of liquid bleach to the chilled seawater
- add the hydrated Artemia cysts and begin stirring this mixture
- An exothermic oxidation reaction starts to occur and a color change will be noticed from a greyish color to an orange color. Maintain this solution between 15 — 20 C, adding ice as needed.
- once color has completely changed to orange, pour this mixture through a 100-120 micron net and thoroughly rinse until no odor is detected.
- the cysts may then be dipped in a 0.1% (100ppm) solution of sodium thiosulfate followed by another rinse of either fresh or salt water.
- place cysts in hatching container for hatching at a density of 1-2 gr/lt.